Aug. 19, 2022
“One tablet every 2 hours with water”, read the instructions from this 1937 prescription envelope that’s in our collection. Today, we are accustomed to receiving our prescriptions in little orange/brown bottles. However, back then, your prescription might have been given to you by the doctor in a small envelope such as the one pictured here.
Also noteworthy are Dr. Stokes office hours. Notice that he is only open from “1 to 2 and 6 to 8 p.m.” This is likely because during the rest of the day he, like other doctors of the time, made home visits.
Aug. 12, 2022
This image in our collection is of the Sound View Motel beachfront in 1963.
You can see the beach was much wider then. The scene looks to be idyllic. The perfect place for a stroll along the water’s edge.
Aug. 5, 2022
This blue colored photo is known as a cyanotype.
The image was taken from the top of the Southold Presbyterian Church steeple looking north. The railroad tracks can be seen running across the center of the image.
The house in the foreground is the house next to Town Hall. The smaller house no longer stands.
July 29, 2022
This postcard depicts the former St. Patrick’s Church and Rectory in 1905. It was located on the land where the current Town Hall sits.
Before it became St. Patrick’s, the church building was the Southold Collegiate Institute. The school closed down, and it was sold to Rev. Joseph Brunemann in 1863 to give the growing Roman Catholic parish a place to worship. In 1868, the building was turned so the gable end was facing the street. Wings were added to the sides of the building as well as an entryway on the front. In 1870, a new rectory was constructed next to the church to the east.
In 1927, the Catholic parish built a larger church and rectory to the west of this and the original property was sold to the town. In 1946, the structure was disassembled and moved to Sound Avenue where it was rebuilt as a house.
July 22, 2022
This section of a finback whale skull is part of our collection at the Nautical Museum at Horton Point Lighthouse, located in one of the outbuildings called the Oil House. When visiting, some people notice that the skull is too large to have ever fit through the door and so the question arises, how did it get in there?
Cliff Benfield provided the answer when he showed us some photos of when the Oil House was being rebuilt. The original, heavily damaged building had long been torn down. First, the whale bone section was delivered and then lifted by crane onto the foundation of the original structure. Then a new shed was built on the foundation to enclose the bones.
The finback whale is the second largest animal in the world. They can weigh 50-70 tons, with a length of around 80 ft.
July 15, 2022
This chest accompanied Captain Henry Green on the ship Sabina around the “Horn” to San Francisco from Long Island in 1849 as many locals headed to the California “Gold Rush”.
The Sabina had a crew of whale-ship captains who had no commands, along with other local residents who decided to try prospecting for gold. Individuals from both the south and north forks of Long Island were included among the Sabina’s passengers and crew. After a disappointing year, Capt. Green returned home overland, crossing the continent by horse and carriage, 19 years before the completion of the transcontinental railroad.
His signature, and the name of the ship Sabina, can be seen on a label affixed to the left side of the chest. Bequest of Myra Case, 2006.
July 8, 2022
This striking looking ship is the Steamship Saratoga, which was painted by Antonio Jacobsen (1850-1921).
The ship was a turn of the century hybrid ship. Built in 1907 in Philadelphia, the ship had both sails and masts and a steam screw propulsion system. The ship was 6391 gross tons with net tonnage of 3963. It was 413 feet long, 50.2 feet wide, and 17.2 feet deep. The engines had an estimated 5,000 horsepower. The Saratoga was a passenger ship with a crew of 138.
During the late 19th century the Saratoga made a regular voyage back and forth from New York City to Havana, Cuba. It was one of the many immigrant ships bringing people to Ellis Island.
June 28, 2022
Ever have the drawstring pull out of a pair of pants or the hood of a sweatshirt?
Apparently, having a drawstring “malfunction” was not a new problem. Today, a handy person could use a paperclip to rethread the drawstring.
In the past a person could use a threader like the one seen here. It’s made of bone and is flat. The eye is just big enough to accept a drawstring ribbon – and it could easily move through the pocket meant to hold the drawstring.
June 14, 2022
While doing research, some delightful things always pop up. This 1932 photo of the original Port of Egypt is one of those items.
Raymond and Edward Dickinson were the original founders of the business. They organized fishing parties, hired out boats and sold bait.
Brothers William Sr., Herb, and Herman Lieblein purchased the fishing station on Southold Bay in 1946. It continues to operate to this day, primarily as a boat dealership and marina.
June 14, 2022
May 27, 2022
At the onset of the Spanish American War, the U. S. government found it prudent to set up defenses along the coast of Long Island to protect the nation’s interests. After all, New York was one of the largest and most important commercial centers in the country.
Three forts were constructed in Southold. These were: Fort H.G.Wright on Fishers Island, Fort Michie on Great Gull Island, and Fort Terry on Plum Island.
Construction of Fort Terry started in 1897, and it remained ready for use through 1948, when it was declared ‘surplus.’ As an artillery post, it had been heavily armed during times of earlier conflict. The intent of the fort was to guard against hostile ships heading toward NYC. The fort was also used for training and summer encampment between wars, and as a supply depot and ‘look out’ for German submarines during WWII.
Apparently, there was also time for some recreation.
Pictured here: Members of the 43rd Coast Artillery Company baseball team with silver trophy in front of barracks at Fort Terry.
May 20, 2022
The ferry service that connects the North Fork with the mainland has been carrying passengers from Orient Point to New London since the 1950s.
Operating year-round and ferrying an estimated one million passengers annually, this illustrated ad promises a “short, direct and traffic free” experience while passengers “relax in comfort” and enjoy the scenery.
May 13, 2022
It's spring, and 'wedding season' is approaching. Did you know that the tradition of the bride wearing white is relatively new?
For centuries, brides would have worn whatever was their best dress to get married. In 1884, Hattie Davidson married Edward Tuthill in this brown taffeta dress with sparkly silver buttons and ruffled velvet hem that was lined with brown cotton.
April 30, 2022
Talk about eye-catching advertising!
In the early 20th century, Chase and Sanborn literally had their ad in your hands and in front of your eyes. Before air conditioning was invented just about every household had a hand-held, folding fan to use during warm weather. This folding paper fan is from the collection here at Southold Historical Museum. On one side is an attractive, colorful, sweep of flowers.
The reverse has an advertisement for Chase and Sanborn Teas. Chase and Sanborn, which was started in 1862, imported and sold both coffee and tea.
April 15, 2022
The bonnet pictured here with beige lace, lavender grosgrain ribbon, bows and streamers, and lined in silk is called a poke bonnet. Traditionally, poke bonnets have a long brim which extends past the face and adds more room for decoration. This style was especially popular in the 19th century.
This bonnet was donated to the Museum by L F Howell.
April 8, 2022
With our farming heritage, Southold Historical Museum has a significant collection of farming tools and equipment. One such object is this hay tedder or hay conditioner.
Hay tedders and conditioners were used to move grain/hay in the fields so it would dry evenly. The one pictured here would be drawn by tractor.
It was donated to the Museum by Edward Booth.
March 18, 2022
This quilt with the shamrock border is called a "Signature Quilt" or a "Friendship Quilt." The quilt is made up of 90 blocks that would have been embroidered separately and then pieced together. The blocks have flowers/plants and many have initials – presumably each embroider’s. The red thread on the white fabric is considered redwork, which was popular in the United States in the late 19th and early 20th century.
The quilt was made by friends and family for Gladys Marion Bergen Tuthill (1893-1981). It was donated to the museum in 2007.
March 11, 2022
You might be wondering why the collection of the Southold Historical Museum has dog-sledder, his sled, and his team of dogs? These charming figurines were created by Edwin S. Conklin, who was well known for his wood carvings. Conklin who was by trade a carpenter and painter, showed his talented work across the country.
March 4, 2022
We have no information on this stylish early car, other than Charles Meredith photographed it somewhere in Southold in 1958. The vehicle which was built from an old carriage, has a rudder protruding from the center of the seat for steering.
The car has no insignia on it so we believe it to be home made.
If you know the history of this car, please let us know!
February 11, 2022
From the Collection of Southold Historical Museum:
Charles H. Meredith(1889-1966), Sage Brickyard, 1957, Photograph.
This is a 1957 image of the former Sage Brickyard. The Arshamomaque area is known for the particularly fine clay that was used for brickmaking. Locally, the Sage and Sanford Brickyards produced millions of bricks during the period from 1887 to 1939.
The 1938 hurricane caused bay water to flood into the clay pits in Arshamomaque. As a result, Sage Brickyard closed. Remnants of the brickyard are visible today as a portion of the column still stands. Additionally, the products made in these brickyards can be found all over North Fork. Next time you walk past a brick building, be sure to check out the names molded into the clay!
February 4, 2022
Photo caption - The Albertson House, c. 1915
The Albertson House was located on the southeast corner of Main Road and Youngs Avenue. It was one of the largest and most impressive residences on Main Road. Though likely built for G. P. Horton circa 1857, William Conklin Albertson (1850-1899) and his wife Jennie Wells Albertson (1855-1897) are most closely association with it.
W. C. Albertson ran a local farm produce shipping and supply company. After his death in 1899, the house was operated by W. F. Mitchell as a boarding house. Later still, it served as the Town Clerk’s office (1930-40s). The Albertson House was demolished to make way for a new Bohack Supermarket in 1955-56. This is the present location of Southold IGA.
January 21, 2022
The concept of identification tags on soldiers is relatively new. It wasn’t until 1906 that the U.S. Army began issuing metal disks like the one seen here. This tag was given to Frank S. Doyle of Pennsylvania who served at Fort Michie on Big Gull Island. Doyle served in the Army as a mechanic from 1917 to 1918; he never was shipped overseas.
January 14, 2022
This silver soup spoon was once used by diners at the restaurant stamped on the handle. Built in 1784 by Major Gilbert Horton, the home which sat on Bay View Road, was much better known as its later, much-expanded version, the General Wayne Inn.
During the early 1950’s, the establishment was Mrs. Sutherland’s Cedar Beach Inn. By 1958, the business was renamed after Revolutionary War General Anthony Wayne, nicknamed ‘Mad Anthony’ of Waynesboro Pennsylvania.
Sadly, after years of neglect, the building was razed in 2014.
December 17, 2021
Pedal cars! What fun it was to find a pedal car by the tree on Christmas morning. This snazzy jeep model must have been among the popular post-World War II toys available in the late 1940s.
Pedal cars actually go back almost as far in history as the automobile. The earliest cars were seen in Europe in the 1890s.* The earliest pedal cars date to almost the same time!
*We realize that many readers will be scratching their heads about this statement regarding cars dating back to Europe in the 1890s. Many of us have learned that Henry Ford invented the car in 1908. This date commemorates the year that Ford invented a way of mass-producing cars (namely the Model-T) making cars more readily available to the middle class.
December 10, 2021
This sleigh, a Portland Cutter from the late 1800s, is quietly sitting up in the rafters of Reichert Barn. This style is considered one-seater - well you might be able to fit two if you really smushed together. The sleigh, which belonged to Elizabeth and Stewart W. Horton of Skunk Lane, Peconic, was the fancy speedster of its day. It was built by the Sturtevant-Larrabee Co. of Binghamton, NY. Founded in 1881 by James W. Sturtevant and H. Chester Larrabee, the company built carriages as well as sleighs. In response to the evolution of cars, Larrabee went on to found the Larrabee Truck Company. This sleigh was donated to the museum by Roland C. Horton in 1962.
December 3, 2021
“Ice Boating” Photo by Frank Hartley, circa 1900
Back in the early 1900s, ice boating was a popular pastime during the cold winter months. There were several ice boat clubs on Long Island, including the Orient Ice Yacht Club The history of ice boating in Orient dates back to the 1880s with ‘races’ recorded there dating back to 1905. Ice boaters sailed on local waters including Hallock Bay, Great Pond in Southold, Swan Pond in Calverton, Great South Bay in Bellport, and Lake Ronkonkoma. Other clubs include South Bay Scooter Club, formed in 1904, and Mecox Bay Ice Boat Club.
The thrill of the sport is in the acceleration. A smooth surface with no friction and a stiff wind can propel the crafts to incredible speeds, sailing up to five times the speed of the wind. The early iceboats were almost exclusively stern steerers, gaff or marconi rigged.
November 12, 2021
Goldsmith's Inlet/Peconic Gristmill
There have been many mills in the Town of Southold. The one that stood at the top of Mill Lane in Peconic is perhaps the most remembered. It was originally built on the Sound in 1839 as a tidal mill. In an effort to increase efficiency, the owners added a tower with vanes to catch the wind in 1870. Thus, the mill used both the power of the wind and the tides.
The mill arms were severely damaged in the Thanksgiving Blizzard 1898. The storm tore the windmill and tower from the building. According to Rosalind Case Newell, the tower was never restored. Instead, the tidal mill was used with just its original water wheel for several more years. Eventually, modern mechanization made local mills such as this a relic of the past.
The building was left derelict, slowly collapsing into itself, until it was finally taken down in 1906. The mill is still talked about today, and the water channel continues to be of interest to many.
November 5, 2021
“A Dull Day”, 1886
Benjamin R. Fitz (1855–1891)
Sometimes, our initial response to a painting is related to the subject and not to the quality of the painting itself. This is one of those paintings that conjures up uncomfortable feelings because the produce seller looks cold and tired. But isn’t it remarkable how well the Fitz was able to convey those feelings?
The painting depicts a common sight on the urban streets of the nineteenth century. This woman might have been a member of the working poor, or she might have been a farmer’s wife spending the day selling some of her family’s produce to make some extra money.
In this painting, Fitz recorded the world around him, both real-life activities and real-life feelings.
October 22, 2021
Do you recall this logo for Krupski’s Pumpkin Farm in Peconic? This sweatshirt which is part of the collection of Southold Historical Museum reads “Krupski’s Pumpkin Farm, Main Road, Peconic, Long Island, New York."
Today, Krupski’s is well-known for the variety of pumpkins they grow and sell. Their “jack-o’-lantern” display for Halloween is also a local favorite. But the Krupski family only started farming pumpkins in the mid-1970s.
Going back five generations, the first Krupski farm was established in 1909 in Peconic. It was located on land that is now used to grow grapes. Today, Krupski Farm still grows a wide selection of pumpkins but also sells other seasonal vegetables and fruits
October 15, 2021
Corn Husk Dolls
Corn husk dolls are a practice originally used by the Indigenous People who lived in the area we now call Southold. The English Settlers adopted the technique as well. Corn husks are very mendable once soaked in water and can be manipulated into doll shapes. Once dried, the corn husks will retain the shape.
These two dolls are part of the collection of Southold Historical Museum. They have more intricate details including leather clothes and beadwork. Typical dolls would use the cornhusks for all the details. Today, we use corn stalks and husks to decorate our homes. Perhaps you want to grab an ear of corn off the stalk and try soaking the husks to make a doll?
October 1, 2021
David Rothman and Albert Einstein, 1939
Last week’s collections corner featured Howell’s Drug Store which is part of today’s Einstein Square. This week, we feature a bit more about Albert Einstein’s time on the North Fork.
A couple of years ago, Einstein Square was dedicated as the open area adjacent to the building as well. Why Einstein Square, you ask?
In 1939, Albert Einstein (1879-1955) walked in off the street into Rothman’s Department Store looking for a pair of sandals (or as David Rothman mistakenly thought he was asking for “sundials”). Einstein had left Germany during a time when Jews were threatened. He summered on what was then called Old Cove Rd in Nassau Point in 1937, 1938 and 1939. The summer of 1939 is famous, as it was from the house in Nassau Point that Einstein signed the letter written to President Franklin D. Roosevelt regarding the scientific project that the Germans were believed to be working on. In response to this letter, the Manhattan Project was set into motion, and the first atomic bomb was developed.
Einstein did indeed purchase sandals at Rothman’s Department Store, women’s size 11 says the story. He is wearing them in the photos taken of him with David Rothman strolling Nassau Point. Einstein spent many musical evenings with David and other musicians and summers sailing on his boat, the Tineff (which means junk in Yiddish). His love of this area is documented in a collection of letters written in his hand, copies of which are held by Southold Historical Museum.
September 24, 2021
Howell’s Drug Store c.1890
Last week’s collections corner featured a trade card that was distributed by Howell’s Drug Store. This week, we feature an image of Howell’s c. 1890. The back portion of the building began its existence, circa 1873, as a pharmacy. By 1882, a much larger building was constructed and occupied by H G. Howell’s Drugstore. From 1906-1922, the building housed Millard W. Golder’s Drugstore. Following Golder’s, David Rothman moved the young Rothman’s Department Store from the north side of the street into this building. After close to 100 years, the building was sold by the Rothman family and now operates as Southold General, a café and general store.
September 17, 2021
This trade card came from H.G. Howell’s Drug Store which was located on the Main Rd. in Southold during the late 1800’s – circa 1882-1905. Historically, trade cards were used like an advertisement - to help promote products. They would be printed by the manufacturer and distributed through local stores. This one is for Hughes’ Witch Hazel which according to the card can be used for a number of different conditions including toothaches, faceaches, and many others.
September 10, 2021
Do you ever wonder what a building used to look like? Or what businesses were in it? This familiar building is one of those buildings. Once the site of Reeve Lumber, the building still stands on the south side of the road in Mattituck next to the Mattituck Library. The photo was taken of the structure in 1961.
September 3, 2021
Recently, we got an intriguing research request. A museum in Wheeling, West Virginia, wrote to us looking for information on Camp Linsly, which was in our area in 1915. The page pictured above, which notes that the camp was on Southold Bay at Peconic, was attached to the email they sent.
After some fruitless research, we were unable to turn up any information on Camp Linsly. However, the second picture showing the water was very, very familiar. After reviewing our postcard collection, we discovered that the view was actually Jockey Creek! And the image was identical to a postcard in our collection.
It appears that the Linsly Military School of Wheeling, West Virginia rented a house on Jockey Creek and advertised it to the parents of their students as a summer school camp.
If anyone has any additional information about Camp Linsly, we are all ears!
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 631-765-5500 with more information.
August 27, 2021
This image from the New York Public Library is entitled “Lear Green escaping in a chest.” Some enslaved men and women across Long Island tried to escape by fleeing to the Native American reservations, hiding either in New York City or one of the surrounding colonies, or when possible, heading out to sea.
Often, when people think about the institution of slavery, they envision huge Southern plantations where large numbers of enslaved Africans were brought as laborers. These plantations thrived off the backs of those who were forced to serve. Slavery existed in the North, in New York. on Long Island, and in Southold Town as well. As far back as 1654, Nathaniel Sylvester brought enslaved people from the West Indies to work on his large estate at Sylvester Manor on Shelter Island.
We can document that Samuel Landon, who held the position of Southold Town Supervisor for twelve years, enslaved at least five people. The Samuel Landon home (also called the Thomas Moore House) is located on the Maple Lane Complex of Southold Historical Museum. We even know the names of the 5 enslaved people - Zipporah, Prince, Simenne, Caesar, and Condie. We know that Caesar and Condie were the children of Simenne. Also, we know that after Zipporah was manumitted by Henry Landon sometime after he inherited her. However, we know little about the daily life of these five people of Southold.
To learn more about Enslavement in Southold, visit the Maple Lane Complex on Saturdays and Sundays from 1-4:00pm.
Schomburg Center for Research in Black Culture, Manuscripts, Archives and Rare Books Division, The New York Public Library. "Lear Green escaping in a chest." New York Public Library Digital Collections. Accessed August 26, 2021. https://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47df-79bc-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99
August 20, 2021
This 1938 photo of Woodward Brothers Market was taken by Charles Meredith. The location is just west of the Henry W. Prince Building on the north side of Main Road. The store opened in the late 1930s and was operated by Bill and Stuart Woodward of Mattituck. Prior to the store, the Victorian Fanning House stood on this spot. Later years brought a Royal Scarlet Store to this building (1952), and auto parts store, a café, and it is currently occupied by an Italian Restaurant (Maroni).
The lettering on the windows says “Delicatessen” and “Fancy Fruits”. Close examination of the west window, reveals the reflection of the “ Charles F.” and the words “luncheonette” of Kramer’s Drug Store which was directly across the street.
August 13, 2021
Wood and Metal
4' x 2'
Before potatoes could be shipped, they needed to be picked, cleaned, and sorted. All stages of the harvesting required laborers. Long Island potatoes were a staple, high in demand, especially during the years surrounding WWII.
This hand-operated potato sorter is from the Leslie Wells Farm in Aquebogue. The machine separates the smaller potatoes or "chatts" from the larger potatoes which could be sold. Various sizes are sorted by using different inserts.
August 6, 2021
Workers Playing Cards on the Main Road by William Porter, c2014.
The museum’s collection embraces not only the past but also the present. This charming painting, by William Porter shows life in the present day. Men relaxing in the shade, pass time by playing cards. In viewing the work, you can almost feel the heat of the summer’s day.
July 20, 2021
Jean Barber, 1986
The name of our community, Southold, which was founded by Reverend John Youngs, is a variation of the town where he came from in England - Southwold. Like many communities in England, Southwold consists of tightly packed houses surrounded by sprawling countryside.
Southwold was first mentioned in 1086 when the Domesday Book states that Southwold was a fishing port. Three years before Columbus came to the New World, in 1489, Southwold received a town charter from King Henry VII.
Located along part of the southern edge of the North Sea, the municipality also has a lighthouse. This painting by Jean Barber shows the view of the lighthouse from North Parade, a street that runs along the waterfront. Unlike our Horton Point Lighthouse in Southold, New York, the Southwold lighthouse does not stand on the shoreline. The Southwold lighthouse is erected one block inland, surrounded by houses and businesses.
July 23, 2021
Today, Southold High School’s year book is entitled The Snuffbox. However, when the school first started publishing yearbooks, it took a while before the school settled on one name. The earliest Southold High School yearbook we have in our collections is The Oracle from 1908. But we also have The Comet from 1911, The Sphinx from 1913, The Zenith from 1916, The Patriot from 1918, The X-ray from 1922, and The Owl from 1923. The first Snuffbox appeared in 1924, and the name has stuck ever since.
July 16, 2021
This historic barn was built around 1750 on a farm in the Pine Neck area of Southold. In 1961, the Breidtstadt sisters, the last owners of the farm, gave the barn to the museum. The only way to move the structure safely was to completely disassemble it. The building and its foundation was then carefully reassembled at the Maple Lane Complex.
Today, the barn houses a transportation exhibit, featuring carriages and sleighs from the North Fork. The Barn Annex was built in 1966 to house small farm equipment and handmade tools. It also contains a carpenter shop exhibit.
June 25, 2021
Historic Culinary Traditions
During the 19th century butter molds or stamps were common in many houses. This stamp was carved by Captain Henry Green for his wife Roxanna in 1850. The stamp, which is more than an inch in diameter, was created to decorate the butter before it was served at the table.
June 18, 2021
This 1931 photo by Charles Meredith looks west from just past the intersection of Main Road and Youngs Avenue in Southold.
There are some familiar sights like the Southold Savings Bank, now the Southold Town Annex. Just past the bank is the Prince House which is no longer existent and the Prince Store/Building which today is part of Southold Historical Museum.
On the other side of the street is the Socony service station and the Van Deusen house, which later lost its cupola and gained a large brick extension across the front. Beyond that you can see the building that became Rothman’s Department store, which today is part of Einstein Square.
June 4, 2021
Aerial view of Southold and Bayview in the 1930s
This image shows how much our area has changed in the last 90 years. As you can see, Southold was intensely agricultural, with the vast majority of land being farmed. The Main Road is centered in the image and can be identified by the line of trees that shaded the road. The little round white circle in the foreground is the intersection of Boisseau and the North Road.
May 28, 2021
This late 19th century image was from the Corey Family. It was very common for clubs or other groups to rent one of the local sailboats to take them for a sail for the day. Sometimes the voyage would have a destination such as the South Fork; other times the boat would meander around Peconic Bay.
May 28, 2021
The group of men in this image are all working together to work a pumper at the Poggatticut Hotel fire on Shelter Island. The hotel which overlooked the North Ferry, had several names over the years, Manhansett House being the most popular of its names. In 1922, the upper reaches of the building caught fire. The fire was so large, that the Greenport Fire Department brought over three pumpers and men to help fight the flames. Many of the guest rooms were ruined either by the fire or by the water pumped to stop the conflagration.
May 14, 2021
Southold 1909, E. Belcher Hyde Map
Sometimes it is surprising when a road is missing on a map. If you look at this image, notice that Traveler Street (spelled with two Ls) ends at Beckwith Avenue. The roadway was only extended in 1970 – as a way to relieve summer traffic woes.
May 7, 2021
1961 Southold Town Clerk’s Office
At one point, the town offices were located in multiple buildings across Southold town. This building was originally built in 1871 as the Presbyterian Chapel on the Main Road in Southold. In the 1960s, it was the Southold Town Clerk’s office. The building was moved around the time when the Southold Town Hall was built (circa 1976). It is now situated on Travelers Street, east of Southold Post Office.
APRIL 23, 2021
In 1937, Phil Weckesser’s Gas Station, Store, and Tavern was located on the North Side of Main Rd. in Southold. The site sold Gulf gasoline, candy, and Breyer’s ice cream. On the right was Phil’s tavern. The Tavern later moved across the street to the corner of Main and Hobart. Today, delis occupy both of these locations.
APRIL 16, 2021
This is a photograph of two artists, William Ritschel (1864-1949) and Orlando Rouland, A.N. A. (1871-1945). In the summer of 1899, they decided that it would be a novel adventure to live on the wreck of the barge Escort. The wreck was just west of Goldsmith Inlet on the shores of the Long Island Sound in Peconic. Even though the wreck was tilted over on one side, the artists still managed to live and paint on it, as well as host local artists for social gatherings.
APRIL 9, 2021
Are there still some that recall the Cutchogue Railroad Station? This photo from 1937 shows the second station house to serve Cutchogue. In 1962, the station and stop were decommissioned by the Long Island Rail Road due to dwindling ridership.
APRIL 2, 2021
This interior photo of the First Presbyterian Church of Southold shows a sanctuary that looks somewhat different than today. In the late 1800s, the church had an impressive pipe organ in the front of the sanctuary. The First Presbyterian Church of Southold was not the only church to have this layout. Orient Congregational Church and Orient Methodist Church also had their pipe organs in the front of the church during this time period. The idea was that music was such an integral part of the service that its creation should be “showcased” in the sanctuary during the service.
March 26, 2021
John Holland (1840-1914) is considered by many to be the father of the modern submarine. While he lived and worked in New Jersey, Holland established a workshop in New Suffolk to test his inventions.
In this circa 1900 photo by Fred Strickland, Percy Tuthill stands next to one of Holland’s submarines along the shoreline of Peconic Bay.
March 19, 2021
This black and white photo by Charles Corey was taken between 1880 and 1910 at the Southold Train depot. Workers are unloading barrels of cauliflower from the wagons onto the station platform. The barrels are heading to New York City markets.
March 12, 2021
March is Women’s History Month!
Did you know that the women's suffrage movement was a decades-long fight to win the right to vote for women in the United States. It took activists and reformers 80+ years to win that right.
At a time when suffragists were viewed as "Radicals" by some, and thought to alienate many American women, the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) was considered a more traditional and modest organization for women to join at the time. After 1891, the WCTU adopted women’s right to vote as part of their platform. The thought was that the right to vote could help them achieve their temperance agenda. The Southold WCTU petitioned their congressman to support bills in accordance with their movement.
Passed by Congress June 4, 1919 and ratified on August 18, 1920, the 19th Amendment granted women the right to vote.
Ella Boldry Hallock, the mother of Southold